The Kingston Story - Data driven, creatively daring!
Some of the conclusion of the consumer research and insight:
These led us to recommend that 90% of the advertising be shifted to consumer advertising while the remaining 10% remained in trade advertising to reinforce the Kingston reliabiltiy image among PC and clone manufacturers.
The non-techie positioning also led us to develop very stylish, fun, unconventional imagery that would communicate lifestyle, fun, individuality as opposed to gigs, memory and traditional technological visual cues. We incorporated several visual cues to make the campaign recognizable everywhere: the blue swoosh with the information, the red wave for Kingston and of course, the color red, Kingston's corporate color.
Along the way we created several very segmented campaign including school kids, teens, professionals and more, all of them based on their purchasing behavior.
In terms of ad budget, the account grew 10 fold in a year.
All of the ads were adaptable to retailer campaign --for coop money-- in every country
Mini Funs were Kingston's entry into the 100% consumer category. While the technology was as robust and reliable as more conventional-looking USB drives, the look was casual, fun, non-technie, non-intimidating. We focused the campaign on kids who are conscious of the style part, like the fun but need the memory.
Resellers & Manufacturers
We created a very successful promotion which was adapted internationally. The "Tombola" or Roulette promotion allowed random people to win prizes. The number of daily awards is pre-programmed but the moment is absolutely random. When used in high-traffic areas it creates a very engaging promotion.